Children's Liturgy of the Word
The 11:30 Mass is in need of adult volunteers for this ministry.
Please contact Kathy Boyer at 344-9814 if you are able to assist.
Celebrating the Word with children on Sundays when the parish assembles is a significant development in the liturgical and Christian initiation movement. This custom of adapting the Scriptures for children reflects a profound respect for the spiritual life of children. At Saint Andrew's we offer the Liturgy of the Word for children ages 4 to 8 at the 9:00 and 11:30 masses. Children will be invited to participate by the presider prior to the reading of scripture. They will then proceed to the Chapel until the beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist at which time they will rejoin the community for the continuation of the Mass.
This is an opportunity for young children to celebrate the Liturgy of the Word in an atmosphere that allows them to hear the Gospel proclaimed in words that they can relate to, and to be able to discuss what they have just heard. We retain the Sunday readings of the liturgical year and follow the same cycle as the Church. Leaders in this ministry need to have a love of children, a basic understanding of scripture, and a desire to share their Catholic faith with our youth. Won't you consider being a leader in this program? Call Kathy Boyer at 344-9814 for more information, and to schedule a Children's Liturgy of the Word orientation and training.
Per the Diocese of Richmond, all volunteers who work with youth under the age of 18 must complete Safe Environment requirements.
Register for a VIRTUS training session - Register yourself online. Contact Kathy Boyer with questions.
ScreeningONE form - Form is to be returned to the St. Andrew's Parish Office, not the Diocese.
Please access the following information to help you prepare your Sunday session.
- Current Liturgical Minister schedule
- Links to online lectionary resources for leaders -
- RCL BENZIGER - LECTIONARY RESOURCES
- OUR SUNDAY VISITOR - LECTIONARY RESOURCES - Click on "Lectionary Link" on left side bar
- TRAINING and PROCEDURE Information
- QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE FOR VOLUNTEERS (These were originally developed to assist our high school youth, but they contain great information for all of the leaders - check it out!)
- ADVENT WREATH information and explanation
- The LITURGICAL YEAR
- Regulations for FAST and ABSTINENCE